558 N. Main St., Prineville, OR 97754 | (541) 447-6205
CCFR responds to local structure fire
December 19, 2012
Crook County Fire and Rescue responded to a structure fire Wednesday morning on Oregon Avenue in the northeast section of town.
The call came in at 9:25 a.m. As reported, crews arrived to find the house and garage full of smoke. The fire was extinguished in the attached garage and laundry room before extending further into the home.
The homeowner had been woken up by the smoke alarms. He advised that he got up, noticed the smoke and called 911 for assistance. CCFR crews arrived four minutes later and extinguished the fire.
The cause was determined to be from an area near a wall mounted (Cadet) heater in the laundry room. Combustibles had been positioned too close to the electric heating source. Structural damage was minimal although smoke damage was incurred throughout the house. Estimated losses for repairs and contents are at $15,000. This fire did not displace the homeowner; they are currently working with an electrical contractor and the Crook County Building Department to have power restored to the house.
Crook County Fire & Rescue would like to remind people that all heating sources including space heaters need to have at least three feet of clearance from any combustibles.